Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Childstar meets church

Remember Candace Cameron Bure? No? Don't worry nobody else does either. Well at least not until they see her picture. She played Donna Joe Tanner on the beloved sitcom Full House for 6 years - she played the oldest sister of the much more known Olsen Twins.

The moment I found out that she had a signing by my usual saturday bookstore browsing I knew I would HAVE TO be there. Candace during her time on Full House
I arrived at the mall where the bookstore is an hour and a half early - had to pick up a Cher Extravaganza DVD and then went for a bite to eat. I went back into the chapters around 6 pm and there already was a lineup! I mean come on she's over the hill but a few crazy fans had lined up an hour ahead. Oh well I got in line with my already paid copy of her book 'Reshaping it all'. For those of you who've never heard about it, it's about the former childactress coping with her bingeeating, weight problems and eventually finding spiritual release in god. For me as having abandoned the Roman-Catholic faith - or any for that matter - and someone who hates working out and diets it's not an easy or recommended read.

Anyway waiting in line I met a very nice woman with her 13 year old son. He was a sweetheart teaching me how to use his PSP. The woman was very nice, and had been a fan of Candace because of Full House - as were most other people showing up in Chapters tonight if you ask me. Nobody really knew what the book was about or had even gotten beyond page 3. Every now and then employees of Chapters went through the rows of people and asked if anyone wanted it dedicated - if you did you got a sticky note with your name written on it stuck on your book - just don't talk to the star. Like one of the really big ones she arrived late. Only ten minutes though, after all she is sort of over the hill and wants to go to bed early now. At this point it really hit me that this was not some little signing a book and talking with the author kind of thing that I had attended previously. No this was going to be a big, she's a major star, ooh and ahh about her but don't talk or dare touch her. I skimmed through 'Reshaping it all' in between talking to the woman and her little boy and finishing off my Starbucks Caramel Machiatto. After about half an hour I got up to her. It was just great. It wasn't that bad after all. She was friendly smiling and inquired politely how I was.

My voice almost broke replying. She looked so much like she did on Full House and that had always equalled the perfect family for me. Security. Fun. Music. The only words I could choke out after that was that I loved her song in Full House. She looked at me like she didn't even remember it(- which come to think of it, she probably didn't.)
If you don't either check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnPQ5ba1gI0
I loved it as a child and even now I catch myself whipping along with her. And oh my gosh I wanted her hair! Growing up she was the optimum of coolness for my pre-teen 90s ass.

At the book signing in Chapters (Candace, Darlene Schacht and me
Back to the signing: A chapters employee took all the peoples cameras and shot pictures while one was talking to Candace - again more praise for her early work on Full House than anything else. After everything was done I took a lot of other pictures of her. Hardly any turned out good, either someone stepped in front of the lense or it became all blurry - I was freaking out to have met her and be close to her and my hand was trembling. Anyhow, I admire that Candace really stayed till even the last fan was satisfied - yes I stayed too making me look like some crazy, fanatic stalker. After two hours of constant smiling she left her position at 9:17 pm to go home, in her case a hotel or a plane.

All in all I got a signed Full House DVD and her new signed book out of it. Both will undoubtly go back to Germany with me in July and get a special spot in my room, when do you ever get to meet someone who inspired you when you were a tiny little kid?! I was shocked at home much she still looked like my teen idol (ha I'm talking about teen idol when I'm only 18 right now =P). Make that pre-teen. She's definitely a nice person but all that mentioning of god and the bible quotes put me off her book, once and if I do read it cover to cover I'll write a review.

Till then, thank you so much for a lovely evening Mrs. Cameron Bure.

No comments:

Post a Comment